All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by In2ition »

Or how about Oden over Durant?
Or Rubio and Flynn over Curry?
Last edited by In2ition on Fri May 31, 2024 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think everyone's hope was that maybe we missed on a Jordan, but at least we got an Olajuwon. Oh well..

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Jordan won 6 championships. Luka may end up with 0 for all we know.

And Ayton is between a Bowie and Olajuwon so far. Bowie averaged a double-double only once in his career.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The particulars don’t matter…it was a major draft blunder looking back now.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 1:50 pm

Bowie was #2.
Bagley was #2.
Why does everyone forget?
Not that it matters, but because Hakeem was an elite player that won 2 titles. Bowie, Bagley and Ayton won’t lead their team to titles. If Ayton gets there he will not be the best player on his team, by far. Doncic is the best player on his team and he led them to the finals. As much as it pains me to say, picking Ayton over Doncic was a HUGE mistake. I wanted Ayton because I thought he was a generational center. He is not. He’s just another big that doesn’t have the drive to be great. The Suns have had plenty of them from Bedford to Miller to Lampe to Tsakailides to…….

Doncic is the one that is a generational player. We hate him because he’s not ours. If he were on our team we would all love him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Bowie was #2.
Bagley was #2.
It doesn't matter the number. We took Ayton #1 when we could have had an all-time great in Doncic.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 1:54 pm

And Ayton is between a Bowie and Olajuwon so far. Bowie averaged a double-double only once in his career.
Poor Jeremy working as hard as he can to spin it.

TOO

Post by TOO »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 5:02 pm
JeremyG wrote:

He's got a schtick to maintain.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 4:33 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Bowie was #2.
Bagley was #2.
It doesn't matter the number. We took Ayton #1 when we could have had an all-time great in Doncic.
That's right. Just because there's one other team that is also stupid, doesn't excuse us for being stupid.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Hey, who left the lights on in here!?!

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

iLLmatic wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Guys, we all wish we had someone in our life that endures us and loves us through all of our faults as much as Jeremy does with Ayton. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and ayton is a 10/10 in Jeremy’s eyes.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Kryptonic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 7:57 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Guys, we all wish we had someone in our life that endures us and loves us through all of our faults as much as Jeremy does with Ayton. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and ayton is a 10/10 in Jeremy’s eyes.

It's too bad he was 1/1 on our draft board. :/

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 6:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 4:33 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Bowie was #2.
Bagley was #2.
That's right. Just because there's one other team that is also stupid, doesn't excuse us for being stupid.
One other team? What about Atlanta?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How does the behavior of any number of other stupid teams excuse our own stupidity? We had #1, we had full control. We had lots of info about Ayton, having been in our home state. We had lots of info about Luka, since we had his former coach, and he'd been covered extensively as a Euro. We should have known. We blew it.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Maybe one day we'll have another shot to draft a once every 15 years type of player. Probably not though.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:23 am
How does the behavior of any number of other stupid teams excuse our own stupidity? We had #1, we had full control. We had lots of info about Ayton, having been in our home state. We had lots of info about Luka, since we had his former coach, and he'd been covered extensively as a Euro. We should have known. We blew it.
Unfortunately the conventional wisdom in basketball even among professional players still values the quintessential big man and 90s style of talent over modern basketball. A friend of mine was a professional bball player who played a lot abroad—he was arguing with me how Ayton is the clear pick. Luka seemed more like to be a generational talent than Ayton.
Edit: TBF, Ayton had the potential to be a DPOY type player with a legit shot and post game- he just lacked the personality and traits to get there and sustain it. Hard to predict when all you get is a nice guy who just says all the right things. It’s not like he exhibited outward bad traits for a young man. I thought Ant Man seemed like a similarly immature kid as a rookie.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TOO wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:34 am
Maybe one day we'll have another shot to draft a once every 15 years type of player. Probably not though.
I'm hoping AI and science can significantly extend human life during my existence otherwise I'm certain most of us won't ever live to experience it in our lifetimes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:02 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:23 am
Unfortunately the conventional wisdom in basketball even among professional players still values the quintessential big man and 90s style of talent over modern basketball. A friend of mine was a professional bball player who played a lot abroad—he was arguing with me how Ayton is the clear pick. Luka seemed more like to be a generational talent than Ayton.
Edit: TBF, Ayton had the potential to be a DPOY type player with a legit shot and post game- he just lacked the personality and traits to get there and sustain it. Hard to predict when all you get is a nice guy who just says all the right things. It’s not like he exhibited outward bad traits for a young man. I thought Ant Man seemed like a similarly immature kid as a rookie.
If only there was tape of him in college that demonstrated the lack of consistency, heart and fire.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

People sometimes overrate tournament performances, but Ayton vs Buffalo showed exactly what he was.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TOO wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:50 pm
People sometimes overrate tournament performances, but Ayton vs Buffalo showed exactly what he was.
Ayton was like that for most of his time at U of A, no? Inconsistent effort, on and off, sometimes awesome, sometimes disappointing. And then the disappointing tournament. All the signs were there.