Buying a home in Arizona

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Mori Chu

Re: Buying a home in Arizona

Post by Mori Chu »

I love and miss AZ a lot. But I think with what I now know about climate change, I probably wouldn't buy a house there. It's just too darn hot, and it's going to get worse. Seattle winters are cold and wet, but at least the climate is mild and doesn't get too unreasonably hot. That is not likely to change too much in my lifetime.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Honestly my biggest concern is water. They’re already starting to restrict building because of it but not enough in my opinion. Just look at time lapse aerials of water reservoirs and it’s mind blowing how fast water levels have depleted.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:00 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:27 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:20 am
TOO wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:15 am
What does say a 4bed 2ba go for in Arizona these days?
Alot....

https://www.zillow.com/florence-az/?sea ... 22%3A15%7D

This is my neck of the woods... and it's an hour from phx. My house is 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath.
I was going to say, it's a pretty big range depending on how upgraded the house is and the age of the house. I'm surprised that they are that expensive out there though, K! I thought the further you get from the center of Phoenix, the better deals.

ETA: OK, looked again and those are all much bigger houses than what I'm looking for. I'm looking at ranch style in the 1800-2100 sq ft range.
Also, my community isn't the status quo. It has a community center, waterpark, fishing, dog park, softball park and various other amenities. The North half of our subdivision is 55+ and the South is single family. The senior side also has the golf course and we all get reduced golf rates (not that I golf...lol). For most, this isn't ideal for going back and forth to the valley, but for us it's great since it was only 12 minutes from work. I love it out here and the small town vibe tbh. I've got used to making the commute to the valley and doesn't bug me... maybe only go once, twice a week.
Sounds like Verrado.
In four years, you don’t have to vote again. We’ll have it fixed so good, you’re not gonna have to vote.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kryptonic wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:39 am
Honestly my biggest concern is water. They’re already starting to restrict building because of it but not enough in my opinion. Just look at time lapse aerials of water reservoirs and it’s mind blowing how fast water levels have depleted.
We use more water with more population and it has rained less in recent years. The last year hasn’t been bad. We have had some decent rain at times. I was here in 1978 when we had what they called the 100 year flood. Mother Nature likes to keep things interesting.
In four years, you don’t have to vote again. We’ll have it fixed so good, you’re not gonna have to vote.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:35 am
I love and miss AZ a lot. But I think with what I now know about climate change, I probably wouldn't buy a house there. It's just too darn hot, and it's going to get worse. Seattle winters are cold and wet, but at least the climate is mild and doesn't get too unreasonably hot. That is not likely to change too much in my lifetime.
You don't have to live here. A/C is a great thing. I love it here. It's a beautiful state. Enjoy your rain 9 months of the year. I wouldn't live there. I lived there for four years. SAD is a real thing for a reason. I no longer have to fear earthquakes either. To each their own.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Summer is my favorite time in AZ. People escape the heat and leave. Traffic is better. I have time off and own a house with a pool and AC. I get to spend more time writing useless things on phx-suns.net.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:09 am
Summer is my favorite time in AZ. People escape the heat and leave. Traffic is better. I have time off and own a house with a pool and AC. I get to spend more time writing useless things on phx-suns.net.
I'd rather beat the heat than shovel snow.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Why not beat the snow and shovel the heat😌

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:32 am
Why not beat the snow and shovel the heat😌
Like these guys?

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:49 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:35 am
You don't have to live here. A/C is a great thing. I love it here. It's a beautiful state. Enjoy your rain 9 months of the year. I wouldn't live there. I lived there for four years. SAD is a real thing for a reason. I no longer have to fear earthquakes either. To each their own.
Lived in Eugene Oregon a year. SAD is real. Couldn't do it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's official. I am an Arizona home owner! AND I've lived through the brunt of my first full Arizona summer since I moved out of state a couple years after college. Not bad at all. Beautiful open skies here. Some recent pictures I've taken:

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Great photos Bone! Where did you settle on?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:27 pm
Great photos Bone! Where did you settle on?
Thanks! The Ahwatukee Foothills. Great mountain views around there. And I got my little back yard oasis that Nodack described with a pool with a basketball hoop! :D

"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Congrats!