Immigration

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Immigration

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:10 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:14 am
There is a 30,000 person caravan on it's way to the border right now, so what does that mean?
It's funny how a spooky caravan always approaches the border exactly around the time of an election.
I don't think you mean to infer that Republicans are organizing caravans, right?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:14 am
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:
There is a 30,000 person caravan on it's way to the border right now, so what does that mean?
It's funny how a spooky caravan always approaches the border exactly around the time of an election.
I don't think you mean to infer that Republicans are organizing caravans, right?
I wouldn't put it past them to make them up.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:34 am
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:
This is where we are now?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:
No, just that there are often groups of migrants migrating around, and the GOP media really likes to find a large-ish one around election time and hype it as if it were the biggest crisis on the planet. Then a week after the election, yawn, story over, let's all move on. It's just playing the hits for their viewer base, classic immigration outrage bait. There's been a "caravan" hype story every election: 2016, 2020, 2022. And they all go away right after.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:
No, just that there are often groups of migrants migrating around, and the GOP media really likes to find a large-ish one around election time and hype it as if it were the biggest crisis on the planet. Then a week after the election, yawn, story over, let's all move on. It's just playing the hits for their viewer base, classic immigration outrage bait. There's been a "caravan" hype story every election: 2016, 2020, 2022. And they all go away right after.
I don't think that the story went away, in fact it was reported on when it arrived, but corporate media just ignored it. The pictures and video of it were everywhere and the numbers were pretty staggering.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We call them Scareavans.
In four years, you don’t have to vote again. We’ll have it fixed so good, you’re not gonna have to vote.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Yes. When you lie enough, that’s what happens.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:08 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Yes. When you lie enough, that’s what happens.
This is where you only see one side's lies, and think they are the only ones who lie? In the past 8-9 years, there have been gigantic lies, and a number of them took awhile to eventually come out. Did you not see any of them?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kamala's campaign puts out their first ad about the border. They know this is going to be a tough issue for them, so it seems like they're trying to get ahead of it and not let Trump's side define the conversation. One talking point they're going with is that the GOP/Trump stopped the recently proposed bipartisan border deal from passing.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:10 am
Kamala's campaign puts out their first ad about the border. They know this is going to be a tough issue for them, so it seems like they're trying to get ahead of it and not let Trump's side define the conversation. One talking point they're going with is that the GOP/Trump stopped the recently proposed bipartisan border deal from passing.
Spoiler: show/hide

Thank you Kamala. I was wondering when Biden was going to get around and drill this point home and he didn’t. She should hammer him on this. Trump and Maga will of course deny it ever happened. There are plenty of Trump quotes to back this.
In four years, you don’t have to vote again. We’ll have it fixed so good, you’re not gonna have to vote.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wouldn't call myself a border expert, but I am still surprised the GOP didn't accept the bipartisan border deal from a few months ago. I know it wasn't a perfect deal from their perspective, but it had a ton of things in it that they wanted. The overall effect of the deal was a big tightening of the border policy and enforcement. It would have been a big win from their side. But IMO they just can't stomach the idea that Biden or Kamala would be able to point to a "bipartisan border deal" and claim any credit for it. They literally don't want things to get better if the Dems can take any credit for the improvement. So they voted down a deal that would have been in their best interests. IMO this is short-sighted and unwise politics. Now Kamala can run and repeatedly hammer this point that the GOP rejected the deal and chose not to secure the border. She can flip the script. I realize a lot of voters won't totally buy it, but the GOP didn't need to hand the Dems such a useful talking point on what would normally be one of their strongest issues.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Right, do you want a petty dictator that blocks good legislation for his own benefit? Or somebody that wants what's best for her country no matter what?

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Seems a bit racist.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He used to clarify that there are some in there who are fine people. Now they are all monsters. Now it’s all fear mongering and nothing else.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans love making white Americans feel afraid of brown/black people, immigrants, and other "others." That fear and resentment and division is core to their party.