Trump 2024

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Trump 2024

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:30 pm
Okay, a bunch of those magazines in that clip from James Woods are from German or otherwise international magazines, so I immediately dismiss those; those aren't the work of US Democrats. Secondly, I think we have to talk about whether correctly calling out someone as a fascist and aspiring dictator counts as an incitement to political violence. Trump has made it clear that that's what he is, and that's what he wants; having a magazine cover that says so isn't the same thing as calling for violence against him. I also think you are conflating various media outlets with the Democratic Party; repeatedly folks here have talked about the Dems and Biden and their rhetoric inciting this assassination attempt. I think Republicans and conservatives too quickly assume that various media companies and the Democratic party are in cahoots and are one and the same. They aren't. I didn't see anything in that James Woods clip that connected to the Democratic political party.
I'm calling BS on you trying to say calling him a fascist at every moment is not calling for violence. It's the same dehumanizing language when you continue to do that. And might I point out the fact that the only President that has committed fascist behavior and actions is actually Biden.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:53 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Okay, a bunch of those magazines in that clip from James Woods are from German or otherwise international magazines, so I immediately dismiss those; those aren't the work of US Democrats. Secondly, I think we have to talk about whether correctly calling out someone as a fascist and aspiring dictator counts as an incitement to political violence. Trump has made it clear that that's what he is, and that's what he wants; having a magazine cover that says so isn't the same thing as calling for violence against him. I also think you are conflating various media outlets with the Democratic Party; repeatedly folks here have talked about the Dems and Biden and their rhetoric inciting this assassination attempt. I think Republicans and conservatives too quickly assume that various media companies and the Democratic party are in cahoots and are one and the same. They aren't. I didn't see anything in that James Woods clip that connected to the Democratic political party.
I'm calling BS on you trying to say calling him a fascist at every moment is not calling for violence. It's the same dehumanizing language when you continue to do that. And might I point out the fact that the only President that has committed fascist behavior and actions is actually Biden.
I want to thank you for being so honest with your thoughts and opinions, it really gives me a window into what MAGA world is thinking. And what I see scares me.

I see a distorted view of reality, where anything that Trump does (e.g., likely have raped and sexually enslaved 13 year olds, talked about seducing friends' wives and grabbing them by the pussy, incited a riot and planned an insurrection against the US government) is ignored or even taken positively while any little thing that the Democrats have done or said is completely blown out of proportion.

I also see a distorted view of reality among the "elite" and the "libs", if you will -- but they're different in nature. Like "everyone has a 5000 square foot house" or thinking it is normal to have a fundraiser for your think tank where you bring policy folks and rich people together -- in other words, pay for play. But UP TO THIS POINT, they haven't encouraged violence.

Honestly, calling Trump a fascist is just reality -- he himself said he'd be a dictator on Day One:
As Donald Trump faces growing scrutiny over his increasingly authoritarian and violent rhetoric, Fox News host Sean Hannity gave his longtime friend a chance to assure the American people that he wouldn’t abuse power or seek retribution if he wins a second term.

But instead of offering a perfunctory answer brushing off the warnings, Trump stoked the fire.

“Except for day one,” the GOP front-runner said Tuesday night before a live audience in Davenport, Iowa. “I want to close the border, and I want to drill, drill, drill.”
All of this scares me (hopefully not silly, though), although not as much as how much support he has from significant portions of the US electorate. It also scares me how many friends I have who are saying that liberals need to buy guns, too.

How the heck are we going to avoid large-scale political violence?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I want to thank you for being so honest with your thoughts and opinions, it really gives me a window into what MAGA world is thinking. And what I see scares me.

I see a distorted view of reality, where anything that Trump does (e.g., likely have raped and sexually enslaved 13 year olds, talked about seducing friends' wives and grabbing them by the pussy, incited a riot and planned an insurrection against the US government) is ignored or even taken positively while any little thing that the Democrats have done or said is completely blown out of proportion.

I also see a distorted view of reality among the "elite" and the "libs", if you will -- but they're different in nature. Like "everyone has a 5000 square foot house" or thinking it is normal to have a fundraiser for your think tank where you bring policy folks and rich people together -- in other words, pay for play. But UP TO THIS POINT, they haven't encouraged violence.

Honestly, calling Trump a fascist is just reality -- he himself said he'd be a dictator on Day One:
As Donald Trump faces growing scrutiny over his increasingly authoritarian and violent rhetoric, Fox News host Sean Hannity gave his longtime friend a chance to assure the American people that he wouldn’t abuse power or seek retribution if he wins a second term.

But instead of offering a perfunctory answer brushing off the warnings, Trump stoked the fire.

“Except for day one,” the GOP front-runner said Tuesday night before a live audience in Davenport, Iowa. “I want to close the border, and I want to drill, drill, drill.”
All of this scares me (hopefully not silly, though), although not as much as how much support he has from significant portions of the US electorate. It also scares me how many friends I have who are saying that liberals need to buy guns, too.

This is nonsense. I would never call for violence on anyone, even those I disagree with vehemently. Don't try to lump me into the fever dream of yours. It's frightening that you live with these weird fears, and basically believe any nonsense that is presented to you that is negative about Trump. Is he perfect? No, of course not. No one is. But your fears and the boogeyman you've built up in your head isn't even healthy for you.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:07 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

This is nonsense. I would never call for violence on anyone, even those I disagree with vehemently. Don't try to lump me into the fever dream of yours. It's frightening that you live with these weird fears, and basically believe any nonsense that is presented to you that is negative about Trump. Is he perfect? No, of course not. No one is. But your fears and the boogeyman you've built up in your head isn't even healthy for you.
I would say that you are unintentionally being ignorant of the facts, and even denying words that have come directly out of Trump's mouth.

I am in a rather unusual place -- asking if I am the frog in a slowly boiling pot of water here in HK or my family in the US. I personally feel that I have less to fear from Xi Jinping than Donald Trump. This in itself is a strange enough idea that I find myself constantly challenging my own assumptions.

I also have to ask myself if the people I know, including one that has already been hit by Trump weaponizing the Justice Department, are representative.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shot or not, Donald Trump is a dangerous fascist who must be (non-violently) stopped from taking the Presidency.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

US in precarious moment after failed Trump assassination
Top US business leaders condemned the violence, and some used the occasion to formally endorse Trump after months of speculation.

https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/stori ... rning_brew

Elon Musk wrote on X, “I fully endorse President Trump and hope for his rapid recovery.” The world’s richest person had reportedly donated to a super PAC working to reelect Trump but hadn’t given a public endorsement until after the shooting.

What does it mean for the election? Ronald Reagan’s approval ratings jumped eight points immediately following his attempted assassination in 1981, and traders also expect a boost in support for Trump. His odds of winning the election on the prediction market Polymarket jumped to an all-time high of 70%.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Following the assassination attempt and at the Republican Convention is Trump's moment and chance to unify rather than continue to divide the country. It will be very interesting to see if he can do it. Up until this point, he has only been petty and vindictive. I have severe doubts that he can. How could you not when he has never been a unifying voice?

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:57 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:07 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

I would say that you are unintentionally being ignorant of the facts, and even denying words that have come directly out of Trump's mouth.

I am in a rather unusual place -- asking if I am the frog in a slowly boiling pot of water here in HK or my family in the US. I personally feel that I have less to fear from Xi Jinping than Donald Trump. This in itself is a strange enough idea that I find myself constantly challenging my own assumptions.

I also have to ask myself if the people I know, including one that has already been hit by Trump weaponizing the Justice Department, are representative.
It's probably better to focus on his actions than his words during a campaign. He did say "Locker her up! Lock her up!", but thought it wouldn't be good to be divisive during his term by pursuing it, unlike Biden. Just focusing on the actions taken during their presidencies, can you think of fascist actions he took, and fascist actions that Biden took and compare and contrast?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:13 am
It's probably better to focus on his actions than his words during a campaign. He did say "Locker her up! Lock her up!", but thought it wouldn't be good to be divisive during his term by pursuing it, unlike Biden. Just focusing on the actions taken during their presidencies, can you think of fascist actions he took, and fascist actions that Biden took and compare and contrast?
Hillary Clinton WAS investigated; she testified for 11 hours. There was no evidence of a crime, so there was nothing to pursue. If there had been evidence suitable for a criminal investigation or charge, Trump absolutely would have brought it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:55 am
Following the assassination attempt and at the Republican Convention is Trump's moment and chance to unify rather than continue to divide the country. It will be very interesting to see if he can do it. Up until this point, he has only been petty and vindictive. I have severe doubts that he can. How could you not when he has never been a unifying voice?
Good news! He does want to bring the country together, in agreement that all prosecutions against him must be dropped. He already got his wish on the Judge Cannon FL Classified Docs case; good week for T so far.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's what I thought. F.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Was the shooter tied to the Lincoln project pedos?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Everyone is a pedo in MAGA world including your esteemed leader.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

No, but the founders and ones running the Lincoln Project were proven pedos.

Why do you still value their opinions?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This is classy by Jack Black, well known MAGA supporter.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:28 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:13 am
Hillary Clinton WAS investigated; she testified for 11 hours. There was no evidence of a crime, so there was nothing to pursue. If there had been evidence suitable for a criminal investigation or charge, Trump absolutely would have brought it.
Imagine thinking Bengahzi was the only criminal activity she was involved in. That's so precious.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:27 am
This is classy by Jack Black, well known MAGA supporter.
► Show Spoiler
I and many others like me don't condone that type of behavior. Even the crowd response was lukewarm.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is a weird spitting match over what random people associated with the other side have said that imply violence…people on both sides do it…you can always find negative examples…it’s one of the biggest problems with politics in our country…too much focus on vilifying the other side above all else.
Last edited by Split T on Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't condone what Jack Black and his band said in that clip. He shouldn't have said that, and I don't agree with him. Also note that Jack Black is just some random celebrity, not a Democratic party representative or politician.