Tech That Is New

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Tech That Is New

Post by Superbone »

I'm glad they're finally learning how to do updates.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I didn't know where to put this; file it under "tech news." Amazon is now asking employees to come back to work in the office 5 days a week; no more remote work from home. I bet some employees will be really pissed off. (I myself work from home 5 days a week and quite like it.)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Working from home and whether that helps or hurts, is really an individual thing, imo. Some people are more efficient working from home, and others have more distractions at home. It would make sense to figure out who works better and where to maximize efficiency. Just my own simple observation. I work from home 2 days a week, and 3 days in the office.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

After the pandemic, Sony gave us the option of working full time in the office, part time (hybrid), or full time at home. I went back hybrid for a little bit but realized it was better for me to work full time from home. I did that for the last 8 months of my career.

My friend who works in cyber security in the bay area said almost all their engineers are working full-time from home now. They have some kind of rental office space now if you still want to work in the office full-time or part-time but they went away from full blown office space.

That was the best thing about the pandemic. It gave us options.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You would think that the unintended consequences to businesses is that it could lower their own fixed costs with office space needs. Another benefit would be less commuting, traffic congestion and burned fossil fuels.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

IMO the execs and managers like having everybody in the office because their work revolves around being in meetings all day, and they'd rather just have in-person meetings. But for all the engineers and staff that do the focused individual work, being at home can be very productive. Also a lot of VPs and bosses have this instinctive sense that in-office work is more productive and more valuable, data be damned. So they sort of force it.

I heard that in Amazon's case, Amazon tends to be a very data-driven company, so they did a big data-gathering exercise to see whether work from home was reducing productivity. They found that no, it wasn't. Then they chose to ignore that data and force employees back to the office anyway.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That doesn't sound like the best business decision, imo.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

It's probably some CEO at the top that can't work from home so they're hell bent on ruining it for everyone else. :P

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Finally got a foldable phone. Thought they were ridiculous before. Now I can't go back to a regular phone. The amount of multitasking I can do is nuts. Don't need to bust out the laptop frequently when I'm away from the home office.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:02 am
You would think that the unintended consequences to businesses is that it could lower their own fixed costs with office space needs. Another benefit would be less commuting, traffic congestion and burned fossil fuels.
This. 💯
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton