Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SwingMan

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:I kind of hope he does. I think he can be used in a trade.
Oh, NOW you think he's worth something in trade? ;)

Seriously, at this point, Frye's only worth equaling salaries in a package - who's gonna be the main attraction we pin him to?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I never said he wasn't worth something. He just has relative value. He's not going to worth the same in a trade as say the Morris Twins. And teams in the lotto probably aren't going to be interested in him.

As far as what to include him with in a trade, the answer may be the #27 pick.
Free Agency
DeMar Derozan for the minimum!

PG: Jordan McLaughlin, Killian Hayes, Kris Dunn, Spencer Dinwiddie, Monte Morris
C: Mo Bamba, Andre Drummond, James Wiseman, Goga Bitadze, Jay Huff

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:I never said he wasn't worth something. He just has relative value. He's not going to worth the same in a trade as say the Morris Twins. And teams in the lotto probably aren't going to be interested in him.

As far as what to include him with in a trade, the answer may be the #27 pick.
I know - just joshing you from the Love discussions.

What the hell kind of player could we get with such utter fodder, though? I think Frye needs to be gone, but I'm not willing to give up any picks to get rid of him.....

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'm not a huge Carmelo fan, but he's a really good player. I wonder what kind of interest we would have in him? I would personally rather have Kevin Love, but if we could sign Carmelo outright, re-sign Bledsoe, and get some good development at the center position, that's not too bad a team right there.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:I knew July 1 wasn't the deadline for Frye's option:
Frye has a player option for the 2014-15 of $6.8 million that he must pick up by June 23 - three days before the 2014 NBA Draft - or become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/ ... ision-will
So I guess it's July 1st if a specific date isn't written into the contract. If you knew it wasn't July 1st when I wrote it, why not say it then?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I read that Frye was hoping to opt out and get one last multi-year contract from us. Don't know if the FO wants to do that, though. Frye served a useful role for us last year and played well with Dragic, but I don't know how much of a commitment I'd want to make to him in terms of years and dollars.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

wpmiller42 wrote:I'm not a huge Carmelo fan, but he's a really good player. I wonder what kind of interest we would have in him? I would personally rather have Kevin Love, but if we could sign Carmelo outright, re-sign Bledsoe, and get some good development at the center position, that's not too bad a team right there.
I don't think we're on Melo's short list. I think he's bound for the Bulls or Heat, myself. Definitely think he's out of NY.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:I think I read that Frye was hoping to opt out and get one last multi-year contract from us. Don't know if the FO wants to do that, though. Frye served a useful role for us last year and played well with Dragic, but I don't know how much of a commitment I'd want to make to him in terms of years and dollars.
This is another tricky situation. If I am Frye I totally opt out. Otherwise there is a good chance that I am traded as an expiring contract.The deal he'd command in free agency is probably that of a backup big man, it is, the 4-5M per range. That is what the likes of JJ Hickson, Zaza Pachulia etc make. It is a matter of deciding if the Suns want him for another three or four years, but in this case we have to factor in that he'd be leaving almost $7M on the table. An interesting thought: If Frye and PJ are resigned to 4M per deals they'd be making basically the same amount combined than this last season, just equally shared.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:I'm not a huge Carmelo fan, but he's a really good player. I wonder what kind of interest we would have in him? I would personally rather have Kevin Love, but if we could sign Carmelo outright, re-sign Bledsoe, and get some good development at the center position, that's not too bad a team right there.
I don't think we're on Melo's short list. I think he's bound for the Bulls or Heat, myself. Definitely think he's out of NY.
If he really likes NY he should take his last year and then make a real sacrifice to get help after next season. The Knicks can still make the playoffs in the East and now they have a couple of respectable names running things. If he wants to take the easy way out again, pairing with LeBron is the obvious option. Chicago and Phoenix make perfect sense from a roster perpective but the Bulls' chances depend too much on Rose's health, and the Suns seem to lack glamour for his taste. I can't complaint about the latter though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I knew July 1 wasn't the deadline for Frye's option:
Frye has a player option for the 2014-15 of $6.8 million that he must pick up by June 23 - three days before the 2014 NBA Draft - or become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/ ... ision-will
So I guess it's July 1st if a specific date isn't written into the contract. If you knew it wasn't July 1st when I wrote it, why not say it then?
Sorry, I didn't have an exact date and couldn't find the article.

Player options usually have to exercised before July 1. It's only team options that sometimes extend past July 1, and usually that's in the case of non-guaranteed salary.
Free Agency

PG: Jordan McLaughlin, Killian Hayes, Kris Dunn, Spencer Dinwiddie, Monte Morris

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I believe its the 23rd for Frye.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In the wake of Kawhi Leonard's dominant Finals performance, Paul Coro hits the spin cycle and feels compelled to remind us how awesome Markieff Morris is :roll: :
This is when it is nice for the Suns to reflect on how good Markieff Morris has become.

Morris' 2013-14 leap to becoming a Most Improved Player and Sixth Man Award candidate was well-timed. Just as Morris quieted second-guessing on the draft this season by outplaying 2011 draft counterpart Kenneth Faried (a popular prospect internally at the time), Morris' development also shields the Suns from critical hindsight for not taking NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard that year.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /10650891/
Free Agency

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

If ever there was an article worthy of the eye roll, it's that one. On a related note, there seems to be almost no news/insight on azcentral about what the Suns' draft plans are. Are they seriously shopping a pick/picks? Moving up? trading out? Who are they targeting at 14 and 18? Isn't this the kind of stuff you should be writing about if all you wrote about was the Suns? I've been very underwhelmed by their draft coverage although to be fair I haven't seen any of Coro's video pieces which may offer more insight.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Maybe it's not public knowledge? I would be keeping my plans close to the vest if I were the Suns.

"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

That's probably right and it's no bad thing if these Suns keep things in house. I just know when I check in on their site for draft into I'm rarely impressed (albeit I may be expecting too much).

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Morrii got their options picked by McD but they also were give kind of an ultimatum. This was their last chance with the Suns, they took advantage of it and we all are glad, but linking their performance to what Leonard has done is beyond ridiculous.

Shields the Suns from critical hindsight. Pffff.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Gerald Green hammers home off-the-practice-gym-wall windmill dunk

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 31188.html

"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

That dunk was just sick. The incredible part about it is he still had height on his jump when he was at the basket...e.g. his head was above the rim.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Gladiator wrote:That's probably right and it's no bad thing if these Suns keep things in house. I just know when I check in on their site for draft into I'm rarely impressed (albeit I may be expecting too much).
Didn't they used to show some of the draft workouts before on suns.com?