Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:[ Image ]
Keep on pumping that iron big fella. He looks like he's starting to fill out a little.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:In the wake of Kawhi Leonard's dominant Finals performance, Paul Coro hits the spin cycle and feels compelled to remind us how awesome Markieff Morris is :roll: :

I had the same reaction when I saw that article, I didn't even give my time to read it as I knew it was a fluff article. Let me know when Markieff wins Finals MVP Coro.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:That dunk was just sick. The incredible part about it is he still had height on his jump when he was at the basket...e.g. his head was above the rim.
Yeah, it looked like a nerf hoop dunk. So effortless.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:In the wake of Kawhi Leonard's dominant Finals performance, Paul Coro hits the spin cycle and feels compelled to remind us how awesome Markieff Morris is :roll: :
Yeah, I smirked when I saw it.

"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

iLLmatic wrote:
Keep on pumping that iron big fella. He looks like he's starting to fill out a little.

Its always a worry if project bigs have the ability to gain a decent amount of muscle. But he has definitely added to his upper body on that pic. Good to see they have locked him away in the weights room already :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cool video of Hornacek reflecting on his first year as head coach:

http://www.nba.com/suns/coach-hornacek- ... first-year

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
Definitely good to see. Couple that with the 29-pointer being a regular fixture at the Suns facility and it looks like the soon-to-be sophomores are off to a good summer, save for that unfortunate business in Arkansas.
Free Agency
DeMar Derozan for the minimum!

PG: Jordan McLaughlin, Killian Hayes, Kris Dunn, Spencer Dinwiddie, Monte Morris
C: Mo Bamba, Andre Drummond, James Wiseman, Goga Bitadze, Jay Huff

TOO

Post by TOO »

I hope Archie changes his jersey to #29.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

That jersey belongs to the immortal Alando Tucker.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Is he the worst player with eyewear in NBA history?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Suns have four draft picks next Thursday night. No one wants to draft a player that's not good enough to make the team. If all four players make the team, Jeff Hornacek would have a nightmare trying to develop four players when he already has a young team.
http://www.arizonasports.com/41/1742876/I-Love-Payne

UH, HOW ABOUT THE ASSISTANT COACHES?

HOW ABOUT THEIR OWN D-LEAGUE AFFILIATE?

HOW ABOUT THAT LITTLE DEPARTMENT CALLED PLAYER PERSONNEL AND DEVELOPMENT?!

WHY ARE WE BEING SO FREAKING OBTUSE?!?!?!?!
Free Agency

PG: Jordan McLaughlin, Killian Hayes, Kris Dunn, Spencer Dinwiddie, Monte Morris

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And Andy Katz piles on:
"They were in the preseason looked at as one of those teams that you wonder whether they were going to tank or not," ESPN college basketball insider Andy Katz said Wednesday on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "They're on the upswing and they don't necessarily need to take on three young contracts."
http://www.arizonasports.com/41/1742717 ... -contracts

Youth and minimal salary, the ruin of every fringe playoff team. :roll:
Free Agency

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Have you stopped to think that fringe playoff team can in fact be the ruin of a particular youth and minimal salary? You are starting to give the impression that you are assuming that any kid that might have been selected with the #27 would make it.

Diminishing returns in a real thing. There are countless examples of good rookies that never amounted to anything on the teams that drafted them because there was not room for them, and it doesn't need to be a contender. This is not a mere excuse to sell a pick for 3M, it is a real phenom.

From a franchise standpoint entering the draft with a predefined mindset can be a recipe for commiting mistakes. And mistakes can adopt different shapes. If I am the one making the decisions for the franchise I need to look at the pick not only as a soon to be 2014 draftee, but also as an asset. If I make the pick and I am not putting the kid in a good environment for his development, there is a good chance that I have wasted that asset, and it is never coming back.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
The Suns have four draft picks next Thursday night. No one wants to draft a player that's not good enough to make the team. If all four players make the team, Jeff Hornacek would have a nightmare trying to develop four players when he already has a young team.

All this over a Doug Franz article? Ooook. Who's we?

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote: Who's we?
Suns fans. Suns media. Ryan.
Free Agency

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:You are starting to give the impression that you are assuming that any kid that might have been selected with the #27 would make it.
In this draft, I like the chances. It would be a moot point for me, though. If I were making the pick, and Kyle Anderson wasn't selected at #14 or #18, I would draft Inglis and leave him overseas.
Diminishing returns in a real thing. There are countless examples of good rookies that never amounted to anything on the teams that drafted them because there was not room for them, and it doesn't need to be a contender. This is not a mere excuse to sell a pick for 3M, it is a real phenom.
I would never assume that would be the outcome. If I drafted a guy and it just doesn't look like he will develop on my team, then I would just move him. But I would at least try. I'm not going to punt on the draft if there are prospects that I like.
Free Agency

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:

told ya that indy pick was expendable.

wish the NBA allowed teams to loan players to other pro teams in europe or asia.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:And Andy Katz piles on:
"They were in the preseason looked at as one of those teams that you wonder whether they were going to tank or not," ESPN college basketball insider Andy Katz said Wednesday on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "They're on the upswing and they don't necessarily need to take on three young contracts."
http://www.arizonasports.com/41/1742717 ... -contracts

Youth and minimal salary, the ruin of every fringe playoff team. :roll:
if i were mcdo, i'd be willling to give up 3 first round picks for the kevin love rental.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Have you stopped to think that fringe playoff team can in fact be the ruin of a particular youth and minimal salary? You are starting to give the impression that you are assuming that any kid that might have been selected with the #27 would make it.

From a franchise standpoint entering the draft with a predefined mindset can be a recipe for commiting mistakes. And mistakes can adopt different shapes. If I am the one making the decisions for the franchise I need to look at the pick not only as a soon to be 2014 draftee, but also as an asset. If I make the pick and I am not putting the kid in a good environment for his development, there is a good chance that I have wasted that asset, and it is never coming back.
this is why i said macdo may not survive next season if he makes the wrong move.

TOO

Post by TOO »

WOOF.. thats a horrible idea.