2024 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: 2024 NBA Draft

Post by pickle »

Think there was news that he’s expected to be with South Bay lakers for most of the season.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:26 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:39 pm
That makes sense, but I don't know if it'll happen. He'll probably be in the g-league at some point, but I think most of his season will be on the end of the Lakers bench.
maybe I’m overestimating how competitive LeBron and the Lakers want to be…and how invested they are in actually developing Bronny…maybe LeBron just simply wants to play with his son as much as possible. To me, the smart thing would be to send him down to the G league and pick and choose times to call him up(like when the g league team has a thin schedule/lakers have a busy schedule) so he can still play with Lebron at times.
We really have no idea whether the kid is good or sucks. His one season at USC was complicated by health issues. He’s probably not much of an NBA player, but it won’t be completely shocking if he’s actually competent.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He can't shoot. He's also small, but athletic enough to overcome his size while he's young. He still can't shoot.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:56 pm
He can't shoot. He's also small, but athletic enough to overcome his size while he's young. He still can't shoot.
Jeff Hornacek wasn’t much of a shooter when he entered the league. Sometimes, players can learn.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

pickle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:01 pm
Think there was news that he’s expected to be with South Bay lakers for most of the season.
Would be hilarious if lebron goes and plays in the g league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I believe Bronny finished 2nd in the shooting drill at the combine…maybe it was a fluke and he still can’t shoot in game situations, but we’ll see.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he can carve out a niche as a 3-D type of bulldog defender at the 1-2. He's got a good frame and some bulk even at 18 yrs old. He's had the best training money can buy up to this point, and practicing in the NBA should only help more. So high end roleplayer could keep him in the league if he stays motivated. He hasn't shown any ability or talent yet to be any kind of rotational player like other freshmen and USC isn't exactly a basketball powerhouse known for producing NBA talent like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, MSU, etc.

If he could really play he wouldn't need LeBron and the Lakers to draft him. Other kids of NBA players have gone to college and been drafted on their talent and stuck in the league - Austin Rivers, KJ Martin, Tim Hardaway Jr, Glen Rice III. So this is a clear case of nepotism, but as a 55th pick who really cares? Chalk it up as a high end internship.

If he can't shoot, it'll be harder for him to stick once LeBron is out of the league unless Paul's connections around the league can get him a few more low end contracts.

If he can't keep up athletically, it could get ugly tho because you can't have a guy clearly not NBA-worthy on the bench and in the lockeroom. Other guys will start giving the side eye. And if he's not willing to go to the GLeague or LBJ doesn't allow it, it'll get out to the media and make everyone involved look bad. The Lakers aren't close to competing, so maybe none of this matters. Take a flier on the kid, let him hang with his dad and have some fun and maybe it'll be a really cool story in an otherwise mediocre year for the Lakers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:19 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:56 pm
Jeff Hornacek wasn’t much of a shooter when he entered the league. Sometimes, players can learn.
I wouldn't say he wasn't much of a shooter. It's just that he learned better form and became an even better shooter.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Time will tell with Bronny. It's the old nature vs nurture debate. Or in this case, genes vs talent. There have been quite a few offspring make it in the NBA but many more of them don't make it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Some people are overthinking Bronny. He really shouldn't be in the NBA at this point in his development and the Lakers want to compete for a title, so he's not going to get many opportunities to figure it out in the NBA as a rookie.

Also, as much as I point to his shooting deficiency, the real issue is that he's 6'2" at best. I think he needs a growth spurt more than any type of skill development if he's going to stick in the league.

If he's a viable player, we probably won't know for at least two seasons.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Irrationally excited about this guy.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:18 pm

I'm having that feeling with all 3. I really want them to play meaningful minutes; I'd rather live with a rookies mistake than an Okogie or Little

I think Oso is going to wow people

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:58 am
Yes I think they want to win still and Bronny isn’t going to be a regular rotation player. They’ll want him to develop.

It would be very stupid if they stuck him on the team and only let him play garbage minutes all season. He needs minutes to develop. He’ll be with the team and get opportunities to play with his dad, but most of it needs to be development time in the G league.
Split, I think you're a smart guy, but I question if you understand how nepotism works. :twisted:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nepotism got him the contract…I just think it’ll stop there…but I might be wrong

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:19 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:18 pm

I'm having that feeling with all 3. I really want them to play meaningful minutes; I'd rather live with a rookies mistake than an Okogie or Little

I'm a little less confident about Oso than Dunn and Bridges. The IQ and skillset are there but I'm concerned about him being pushed around and needing to adjust to the physicality of NBA bigs. I think Dunn can get by on his athleticism, hustle and defense and Bridges' shooting should hopefully translate. But Oso might be tough to find matchups for and with Plumlee as the backup big, the minutes may not be there early on.

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:55 pm
Bucktastic365 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:19 am

I'm a little less confident about Oso than Dunn and Bridges. The IQ and skillset are there but I'm concerned about him being pushed around and needing to adjust to the physicality of NBA bigs. I think Dunn can get by on his athleticism, hustle and defense and Bridges' shooting should hopefully translate. But Oso might be tough to find matchups for and with Plumlee as the backup big, the minutes may not be there early on.
Agree with every word in this post. The Suns sure seem very high on Oso tho. He’s obviously way more athletic but I wonder if he could carve out some Saric type role on the team in due time.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Oso will be our Draymond(setting/slipping screens, passing to the corner, lobs, or his own drive/floater), but with more size and less psycho/underdog complex.
The video of him analyzing the plays when seeing them for the 1st time convinced me. Great thing is that he has the body to be able to utilize his high IQ. He just needs strength.

He has the capacity to make us a cohesive team. His mentality will be key for me tho

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

It's his quick read passing ability that has me so excited for him. I want to see him maximize his potential for us, and not become another Jackson, Bender, A-ton, ETC........

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm not disagreeing with any of that but can he physically handle the likes of Jokic, Gobert, Embiid, AD, etc. Not many bigs can and I don't expect him to in his 1st year but it's a general concern of mine.